BIOTEC has supported biotechnology research and development in
6 Mission areas:
1. Plant and Plant Production Improvement
Develop commercial varicties superior to those currently available
such features as improved yield, fruit or seed quality, disease
resistance, herbicide tolerance, insect resistance salt tolerance
and other desirable traits must be emphasized.
- Disease Resistance of Rice, Cotton, Pepper Varieties and
- Varieties Improvement of Orchid.
- DNA Fingerprint of Aromatic Thai Rice.
Improve livestock breeds by means of biotechnology and other
advanced breeding techniques.
2. Animal and Animal Product Improvement
- Biotechnology for Increasing Cattle Production.
- Characterization of Yellowhead Baculo-like virus of the Black
Tiger Shrimp, Penaeus monodon.
Solve certain problem in crop production at the small-farm level.
3. Rural Development and Small Farmers
- Commercial Production of Certified Strawberry Seedlings.
- Production of Monoclonal Antibody to Rice Ragged Stunt Virus
Antigen in Plant and insect.
With the tool of genetic engineering, the role of microorganisms in
the treatment of hazardous waste will be enhanced.
4. Sustainable Development
- Utilization and Treatment of Tapioca Starch Waste waters.
- Conservation and Utilization of Bioresources and Biodiversity.
Genetic engineering technique will be used in the production of
antibiotics by improving the production capacity of the cells. This
technique has been used in developed countries to produced new drugs
and new lines of pharmaceuticals.
5. Health Improvement
- Development and Production of diagnostic Kits for Hepatitis C
and Hepatitis B Viruses.
Add value to agricultural based products by means of process
improvement, upgrading of raw materials and novel products processes.
6. Novel Products/Industrial Process Improvement