Copyright 2024 - CSIM - Asian Institute of Technology

CERT Advisory CA-2001-34 Buffer Overflow in System V Derived Login

   Original release date: December 12, 2001
   Last revised: --
   Source: CERT/CC

   A complete revision history can be found at the end of this file.

Systems Affected

     * IBM AIX versions 4.3 and 5.1
     * Hewlett-Packard's HP-UX
     * SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 and earlier
     * SGI IRIX 3.x
     * Sun Solaris 8 and earlier

Overview

   Several  applications  use  login  for authentication to the system. A
   remotely  exploitable  buffer  overflow  exists  in login derived from
   System V. Attackers can exploit this vulnerability to gain root access
   to the server.

I. Description

   Several  implementations of login that are derived from System V allow
   a  user  to  specify  arguments  such  as environment variables to the
   process.  An array of buffers is used to store these arguments. A flaw
   exists  in the checking of the number of arguments accepted. This flaw
   permits the array of buffers to be overflowed.

   On most systems, login is not suid; therefore, it runs as the user who
   called  it.  If,  however, login is called by an application that runs
   with  greater  privileges  than  those of the user, such as telnetd or
   rlogind,  then  the  user  can  exploit this vulnerability to gain the
   privileges  of  that  program. In the case of telnetd or rlogind, root
   access is gained.

   Since  in.telnetd  and  in.rlogind  are  available over the network, a
   remote  attacker  without  any previous access to the system could use
   this vulnerability to gain root access to the system.

   If  a  program  that invokes login is suid (or sgid) USER_A, then this
   can be exploited to gain the privileges of USER_A.

   An exploit exists and may be circulating.

II. Impact

   This vulnerability can be remotely exploited to gain privileges of the
   invoker  of  login. In the case of a program such as telnetd, rlogind,
   or other suid root programs, root access is gained.

III. Solution

Apply a patch from your vendor

   Appendix A contains information provided by vendors for this advisory.
   As  vendors report new information to the CERT/CC, we will update this
   section  and note the changes in our revision history. If a particular
   vendor  is  not  listed  below,  we  have not received their comments.
   Please  review  the VU#569272 for your vendor's status or contact your
   vendor directly.

Restrict access to login

   We  recommend  disabling  TELNET,  RLOGIN  and other programs that use
   login  for  authentication.  Do not use programs that use a vulnerable
   login  for  authentication.  Note  that  some  SSH applications can be
   configured  to  use login for authentication. If this configuration is
   selected, then you will still be vulnerable.

   If  you  cannot  disable  the  service, you can limit your exposure to
   these vulnerabilities by using a router or firewall to restrict access
   to port 23/TCP (telnet) and port 513/TCP (rlogin). Note that this does
   not protect you against attackers from within your network.

Appendix A. - Vendor Information

   This  appendix  contains  information  provided  by  vendors  for this
   advisory.  As  vendors  report new information to the CERT/CC, we will
   update this section and note the changes in our revision history. If a
   particular  vendor  is  not  listed  below, we have not received their
   comments.

Apple Computer, Inc.

   Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server are not vulnerable.

Caldera

   We  are  not  using  a  SystemV based /bin/login, we are using the BSD
   originated rlogin tools. All OpenLinux products are 'Not Vulnerable'.

Compaq Computer Corporation

   Compaq's Tru64 Software is not impacted by this reported problem.

Cray Inc.

   Cray  Inc.  has  determined  that  its  implementation of login is not
   vulnerable to the situation described in VU#569272.

Hewlett-Packard

   HP-UX  is  NOT  Exploitable,  even  though  HP-UX does have the buffer
   overflow,  and  hence  is listed as "effected" above. In any case, the
   buffer overflow has been fixed by HP.

IBM

   IBM's  AIX  operating system, versions 4.3 and 5.1, are susceptible to
   this  vulnerability.  We  have  prepared  an  emergency  fix ("efix"),
   "tsmlogin_efix.tar.Z", and it is available for downloading from:

   ftp://aix.software.ibm.com/aix/efixes/security

   The  APAR  assignment  for  AIX  5.1 is IY26221, and will be available
   soon. The APAR for AIX 4.3 is pending, as a new level of 4.3 is nearly
   available.  The "README" file at the above FTP site will be updated to
   provide the official fix information and availability.

NetBSD

   NetBSD does not use a System V derived login, and therefore, NetBSD is
   not vulnerable.

Red Hat

   Red  Hat  Linux  does  not  use  a System V derived /bin/login, and is
   therefore not vulnerable to this.

Sun Microsystems

   Sun  has  developed  a  fix  and  T-patches are being tested. Official
   patches  will  be  released  shortly and Sun will issue a Sun Security
   Bulletin when they are available.

   The  CERT Coordination Center thanks Internet Security Systems and Sun
   Microsystems for the technical information they provided.

   Feedback  on  this  document  can  be directed to the author,
   Jason A. Rafail